Students enrolled at Augusta University
Local workforce pool
The East region is easily accessible via major interstate and rail with close proximity to the Southeast's major ports.
- Interstate I-20 connects the East region to Atlanta and South Carolina.
- Augusta is nearly the same distance from the Southeast’s major ports at Savannah and Charleston, SC.
- Both CSX and Norfolk Southern railroads run through the East region.
- From 2013-2018, jobs in the region grew by 8.9%, faster than the national rate of 8.2%.
- The Augusta Regional Airport has daily flights to Atlanta, Charlotte and Dallas-Ft. Worth via Delta and American.
Skilled workers in cyber and manufacturing
Augusta and the East region have a strong history of providing quality workers for manufacturing and distribution for over 150 years.
- The East region has a labor force of more than 258,000 with an unemployment rate of 4.4%.
- Augusta University, the region's top private employer, has nearly 8,000 students enrolled and 4,000 faculty and staff.
- Fort Gordon is home to the U.S. Army's Cyber Center of Excellence and is the headquarters for Army Cyber Command, employing more than 25,000 civilian workers and military personnel.
- Home to the largest Kaolin mines in the US, mining more than 8 million metric tons of this unique white clay annually, with an estimated value of more than $1Billion per year. Mostly used in the paper, plastics, rubber, paint, ceramic and pharmaceutical industries. Kaolin exports represent a huge part of Georgia’s port exports.
A region poised for tech greatness
From cyber to agricultural production, East Georgia provides innovative support resources to key state industries.
- The Southeast Georgia Research and Education Center is a 719-acre center specifically focused on row crop production and fungal diseases, including cylindrocladium black rot.
- The one-of-a-kind Hull McKnight Georgia Cyber Innovation and Training Center is one of the only state-owned facilities of its caliber in the nation and houses a state-of-the-art cyber range where real-life cyber warfare training simulations happen.
- Georgia College and State University in Milledgeville is nationally recognized for its online degree programs – from business to nursing programs.
More than just golf... (but also, GOLF)
Traditional pastimes meet riverside history in Georgia's East region.
- A quarter-million visitors descend upon official site of the Masters Golf Tournament each year in Augusta, Georgia.
- Augusta is the birthplace of the legendary James Brown, as well as many historical buildings and a downtown riverwalk to explore.
- Take a tour of the Boyhood Home of President Woodrow Wilson